Fourteen and still boobless

Originally Published: October 23, 1998 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: October 5, 2012

I have written you four times and with no response. I am a fourteen-year-old female and I am as flat as a board. I would appreciate it if you would tell me the average age for first periods and boob growth rate. Is there anything I can do to help with my small boob size and no period? I could live with that, but I want boobs. I am pretty, but as flat as a board.

Please respond this time. I beg you.

Boobless

Dear Boobless,

While the movie "Grease" may have you busting a move to increase your cup size (re: "I must, I must, I must increase my bust!"), the fact of the matter is that patience is the only effective method here. Typically, rapid body growth of girls during puberty takes place between ages nine and fifteen years old, and the average age for a girl's first period is 12.8 years old. Your body may simply be taking its sweet time. Unless you reach sixteen or seventeen years of age without any signs of the onset of puberty (such as breast growth and menstruation), there isn't much cause for medical concern.

Have you spoken to any female family members about this "flat as a board" problem? Asking your mom, grandmother, or aunt about her own puberty experience may shed some light on your rate of development. Your health care provider may also be able to provide insight into your health, especially if she or he has your growth chart. In some cases, certain medical conditions can cause a delay in development. Your school nurse could be another helpful resource. It may even be helpful just to talk about your feelings about your body with someone you trust.

Here's some food for thought: for menstruation to begin, body fat needs to be about one-quarter of your total weight. If you are very athletic and muscular, it could take a while for your period to start. Moreover, female athletes may find that their breasts become smaller after intense periods of athletic training. Some even stop having a period until they regain some of the weight lost from such strenuous exercise.

Socially, it may be hard to see your friends' breasts begin to grow, hear them speak about wearing bras, and trade stories of their first periods. It is completely normal to see these changes happening to most of your friends, and subsequently, to wonder about your own body. Unfortunately, future butterfly, there isn't anything you can do to rush your natural growth. But have no fear — your metamorphosis will come!

20551

To Fourteen and Boobless—

I endured a lot of teasing throughout my high school career and some of college due to my very small breasts. I used to think I wanted a...

To Fourteen and Boobless—

I endured a lot of teasing throughout my high school career and some of college due to my very small breasts. I used to think I wanted a breast augmentation until I started paying attention to my friends who had large breasts (some of whom had to sleep in bras just to be comfortable) and who complained about them frequently — "You can have some of mine!" At thirty three (and pretty hot!), I still have an A cup 32" breast measurement and am so happy that I will never have to wear a bra in my life. My fiancé loves my breasts and my nipples (they're the really important parts!). I have come to see them as pretty and attractive. The benefits far outweigh the teasing I took in my younger years. But I'll tell you this, not one man ever complained — and I have always been told how sexy I am. It's all in the attitude, baby! Self-confidence and a balanced self-perception are the things that will get you noticed — Stand up straight, hold your head high, and tell yourself you've got the best tits in the room!!

Still small and proud of it!

20552

To Fourteen and Boobless,

Enjoy your self. I was in your shoes and all through high school, I was a small B. The minute I turned 18, I went from a B to a large D and I...

To Fourteen and Boobless,

Enjoy your self. I was in your shoes and all through high school, I was a small B. The minute I turned 18, I went from a B to a large D and I thought my wishes had come true. I wouldn't trade them for the world cause they are mine, but for once, I wish I didn't have to wear 2 sports bras to go jogging, shirts could fit right, and guys would stop talking to my lower half. Your time will come, you are only 14 and you have the rest of your life for the breasts god to bless you.

Delighted D-cup

20553

Dear Fourteen and still boobless...

There is STILL hope. I was so flat chested when I was your age... and my friends would always make fun of me, and I would think that I didn...

Dear Fourteen and still boobless...

There is STILL hope. I was so flat chested when I was your age... and my friends would always make fun of me, and I would think that I didn't look good in my clothes, that they didn't fit right. But, as soon as I ended my freshman year, I sprouted... and I mean sprouted. I am now a 36C and even now I am complaining because they are TOO big. hahaha. But, just to let you know there is hope for you, and even if you don't get them... be happy with who you are... because nobody is ever perfect, and you are probably never gonna think that your boobs are perfect. : ) Have faith, ahha.