Fingers in anus -- Safe?

Originally Published: February 18, 2000

Is it safe for a man to insert fingers in his rectum? 'Cause I heard anal fisting can tear the anal wall and can be dangerous... But is finger anal stimulation dangerous as well?

Ann Sermee :) just kidding; I'm a guy

Dear Mr. Sermee,

Clean fingers with clipped, smoothly filed nails are safe for anal stimulation, and a far cry from a whole hand or sizable objects that can cause tearing of the tissue and bleeding around the anus and in the rectum. Pain upon insertion of anything into any body opening is an excellent indicator that entry needs to be slower, that more lubrication and relaxation are in order, or that the effort should be postponed or abandoned because it just ain't gonna fit. The opening of the anus, or anal sphincter, does stretch, but only to a point. Anal stimulation is not limited to penetration; you can also touch, caress, and rub the area around the anus for pleasure. You may also want to read Jack Morin's book, Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women for more information.