Female ejaculate — where does it come from?

Originally Published: May 25, 2001 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: September 28, 2009
Hey Alice,

I read your info regarding female ejaculation. I was surprised to know it ejects from the urethra. However, I would love to know where it is produced. I have been unable to find any information regarding this. Your site is the first place I have ever been able to have the issue acknowledged. Thanks.

Like Stonehenge, solar eclipses, and countless other wonders of nature, female ejaculation has provoked both awe and controversy. Because the fluid in question is expelled from the urethra upon orgasm, many researchers, women, and their partners believed that the phenomena of female ejaculation was really just a loss of bladder control. The book, The G Spot, by sex researcher and educator Beverly Whipple, Alice Ladas, and John Perry, broke through the silence and embarrassment that surrounded female ejaculate, leading many to G Spot joy.

Now researchers believe that female cum is produced by the Skene's glands, which are located near a woman's urethra and are made of tissue that's similar in composition to a man's prostate gland. These researchers point to chemical analysis of female ejaculate that reveals the presence of high levels of prostatic acid phosphatase (a chemical secreted by the prostate gland and found in semen). This would seem to indicate that a woman's ejaculation is similar in composition to semen — without the sperm, of course. Female ejaculate is not pee. It's generally clear or somewhat milky, nearly odorless, and maybe a little sweet.

Although modern science may not know exactly yet what female ejaculation is, women who experience it, and the intense orgasms that usually accompany it, are only too happy to conduct their own experiments, and direct partners with cries of, "Oh, yes, right there... THERE!"

526946
Thank you for clarifying every one! I have ‘squirted' before but it was obvious when that happened. I have been enjoying oral sex tremendously with my new partner and I was going to ask him if I...
Thank you for clarifying every one! I have ‘squirted' before but it was obvious when that happened. I have been enjoying oral sex tremendously with my new partner and I was going to ask him if I was peeing when I was cumming during the oral because it felt so intense and wet. Now I know for sure I am ejaculating. Wow! Awesome! I read once, years ago, that if it feels like you are going to pee before you orgasm, push!! It of course works. I agree that the sensations are so close to each other that it is hard to differenciate what exactly is happening. My last comment to the ladies: Relax, Enjoy, Push, and Cum!!

515821
Thank you for this detailed explanation. In my line of work as a Domme, we call it "squirting". And not all women can let it all go and be able to enjoy squirting. Your description fits to a tee, of...
Thank you for this detailed explanation. In my line of work as a Domme, we call it "squirting". And not all women can let it all go and be able to enjoy squirting. Your description fits to a tee, of what it looks and smells like. It for the most part is clear and odorless, but with a milky substance included as well. I do have to say as a woman, the first time I discovered how to squirt was during masterbation. I had an intense orgasm but felt like I was peeing. I immediately stopped and was embarassed at what just happened. Turns out the squirting was a heightened sensation that made sex even better. The only downside is after I squirt, my personal lubrication dries up and I have to recharge, if that makes sense. So I felt like I had to comment for all those women out there who have squirted before, but felt embarassed, I say be proud and congrats. To all those women who have not experienced this before, I hope oneday you get to enjoy it, because it's mind-blowing.

508630
Alice, Not to be disgusting, rather discussing. I know this is a very sensative issue, and discussing sex in a relatively conservative culture can be difficult at times. My wife and I have been...
Alice, Not to be disgusting, rather discussing. I know this is a very sensative issue, and discussing sex in a relatively conservative culture can be difficult at times. My wife and I have been married over 20 years, sexually active for 23+. She has always ejaculated, and as a witness (yes, I'm there when it occurs), it is NOT urine, and clearly some oher type of fluid. I just can't understand why this topic has to be such taboo - understanding it could potentially help women understand their bodies better and lead to fantastic sex, improved relationships and reduced stress. Mike

21040

It's a marvel how the human body is all put together, the idea that in most cases there is a parallel between organs in the female and male...Like with the ejaculate/ejiculate that...

It's a marvel how the human body is all put together, the idea that in most cases there is a parallel between organs in the female and male...Like with the ejaculate/ejiculate that both sexes have probably works as a cleaner, lubricant and probably has other functions. The amazing human body, a gift from god!