Feeling suicidal... help!

Originally Published: December 31, 1969 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 13, 2014

What do you do if you feel suicidal and don't have anyone to tell?

Dealing with serious thoughts of suicide can be scary, overwhelming, and consuming. It was a big step to write in about having suicidal feelings. This is a step in the direction of living. From here, you can choose to reach out to others who can help you. If you aren't able to tell a friend or family member you need help, the good news is that there are trained professionals waiting to help you through this.

While it's not totally clear from what you wrote, it seems that you may go through times when you feel more vulnerable to harming yourself. In these times, you may be in crisis. During crisis, part of you might want to die, but another part of you — if even a small part — wants to live.

During crisis, getting in touch with professionals can provide relief, understanding, and support. You can get talk with a trained counselor through a telephone crisis hotline. There are many hotlines; the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a great place to start because they are free, open every day, all day, and confidential. You can reach them at 1.800.273.TALK (-8255). You don't have to know what to say when you call — if you don't know where to start or how to explain your feelings, you can just say "I need help." The counselor you speak with will take it from there.

Or maybe you're not in crisis and in danger of doing immediate harm to yourself right now. In this case, how would you feel about making an appointment with a mental health professional to explore your suicidal thoughts? Through this, you may be able to better understand and manage any future suicidal thoughts and feelings. If you're at Columbia University, you can call Counseling and Psychological Services at x4-2878 to arrange an appointment with a counselor. If you're at another college or university, you can contact your school's student mental health service center. If you're not eligible for university services, and you've got health insurance, the health insurance company might have a list of providers for you to choose from. You can also ask your primary health care provider for a recommendation to a mental health provider.

In any case, you can be proud for reaching out to get help dealing with this difficult issue. Please continue to reach out and get the help you deserve. Talking with someone may help to remind yourself about that part of you that wants to live.

Please hang in there,

Here are other helpful resources you can contact, whether or not you are in a crisis, are:

Befrienders International
Gateway to 1,700 suicide and emotional helplines worldwide and on the Net.

The Samaritans
P.O. Box 1259
Madison Square Station
New York, NY 10159
24-hour Hotline [and Safe Place "Suicide Survivor" Support Groups Info]: 212.673.3000

American Association of Suicidology (AAS)
4201 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Suite 310
Washington, DC 20008
202.237.2280
Fax: 202.237.2282
AAS E-mail

Suicide Awareness\Voices of Education (SA\VE)
P.O. Box 24507
Minneapolis, MN 55424-0507
1.800.273.TALK (8255)

21133

Dear Dazed,

I know the feeling....I've been in your shoes before. The thing that you probably don't realize is that there are people that care.....They just have EXTREMELY weird ways of...

Dear Dazed,

I know the feeling....I've been in your shoes before. The thing that you probably don't realize is that there are people that care.....They just have EXTREMELY weird ways of showing it! I tried to kill myself one day and failed miserably, But when people found out about it (particularly my boyfriend) everyone was more than welcome to try to do everything they could to try and help me!!!!!

I've been clean now for about 6 months and no longer have those feelings of aloneness or wanting to die. Granted, me and the guy are no longer together, we still stay close and talk whenever the other isn't feeling well! So you just have to find someone you can trust and see if you can confide your problems in them!!

I really hope I've helped some! Please try my option, 'cause that's all it was, was a possibility that you could try if you wanted to!!

Be safe and good luck,
Been There

21163

Eleven years ago, I had pervasive, dark, and persistent thoughts of suicide. I had even gone so far as to make a plan and to purchase the things I would need to end my life. It is a...

Eleven years ago, I had pervasive, dark, and persistent thoughts of suicide. I had even gone so far as to make a plan and to purchase the things I would need to end my life. It is a horrible feeling and a terrible way to live, but reaching out proves that at some level, you do want to live.

There are people you can talk to. There was no way I wanted my family, or anyone I knew, to find out how I was feeling — so I called one of the helplines. I spoke with someone who was kind, non-judgmental, and interested only in helping me make it through this awful time in my life. Please call someone — you don't have to suffer silently, and you don't have to go through this alone.

From someone who was there — I may still struggle, but I'm glad I chose to live.

21021

RE: Feeling suicidal...HELP!

I have been feeling low for years. Suicidal thoughts put me down every day. It's so nice to know I'm not alone!!! Just remember to GET HELP from a...

RE: Feeling suicidal...HELP!

I have been feeling low for years. Suicidal thoughts put me down every day. It's so nice to know I'm not alone!!! Just remember to GET HELP from a counselor and tell people about it! Your parents NEED TO KNOW! That's why I am so much better now, in fact, I would be dead if I hadn't told anyone!! Thanks!

20883

My brother committed suicide. He will no longer see what tommorrow brings. Tommorrows are always different. Some are better, some are worse, but one thing for sure, they are always...

My brother committed suicide. He will no longer see what tommorrow brings. Tommorrows are always different. Some are better, some are worse, but one thing for sure, they are always differnt. He will miss seeing his own children, a wife that was meant for him (who is out there somewhere), a great snowboard run, a new song from his favorite group. A chance to see the future. Death cheats you out of making things better.

It destroys those you care about forever for they never get over it. But it also destroys all that awaits you. Give life a chance, make the world a better place with your life. If you do not want to live for yourself, give your time to helping someone who needs it.

This is from someone who lives with pain each day over the loss of her brother but lives life knowing tomorrow has more to offer then sadness.

20734

I am responding to Feeling Depressed and Suicidal. Hi, I am eighteen-years-old and I know how you feel being depressed and suicidal. I was there for, like, two years. I know...

I am responding to Feeling Depressed and Suicidal. Hi, I am eighteen-years-old and I know how you feel being depressed and suicidal. I was there for, like, two years. I know sometimes you feel as if no one is there and no one cares, but there is someone. Do you have an old friend who you can trust?? If not, write a letter, not to anyone special, and write how you feel, then put it in an envelope and rip it up. I saw my best friend try to kill herself. All I can say is talk to someone, even if they don't understand... Talk... It will help you in one way or another... Good Luck and I hope you are feeling better!!

20724
Dear Alice, I would like to comment on Alice's answer to Feeling suicidal... Help! [Classic Alice!]. That person could have been me and I want to encourage anyone feeling suicidal to call the...
Dear Alice, I would like to comment on Alice's answer to Feeling suicidal... Help! [Classic Alice!]. That person could have been me and I want to encourage anyone feeling suicidal to call the hotlines recommended by Alice or any suicide hotline you have access to. I've used these hotlines and they DO help — the people who answer will not judge you, they will listen to you. They may not be able to solve your problems, but they CAN get you through the night and they can recommend ways for you to find long-term help. Please, when you feel hopeless, just call those numbers. You will thank yourself some day. —Been there and knows

20401

Responding to feeling suicidal... help!:

There's always someone there to tell; you just have to be able to reach out to them. I felt the same, till my family found out, and in...

There's always someone there to tell; you just have to be able to reach out to them. I felt the same, till my family found out, and in no time, all my friends did, too. I thought it was the end of the world, that they were gonna abandon me, think I was crazy, but everyone has been great, and been there for me, even now, when I just want them all to piss off!