Do women have wet dreams, too?

Originally Published: May 7, 1999 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: April 27, 2007

I'm a sixteen-year-old girl. Do females have wet dreams like boys?

—asking

Dear asking,

You betcha. In 1953, Alfred Kinsey, Ph.D., the famous sexuality researcher, found that nearly 40 percent of the 5,628 women he interviewed experienced at least one nocturnal orgasm (orgasms during sleep), or "wet dream," by the time they were forty-five years old. A smaller study published in the Journal of Sex Research in 1986 found that 85 percent of the women who had experienced nocturnal orgasms had done so by the age of twenty-one... some even before they turned thirteen. In addition, women who have orgasms during sleep usually have them several times a year. Dr. Kinsey and his colleagues defined female nocturnal orgasm as sexual arousal during sleep that awakens one to perceive the experience of orgasm. Girls and women who don't have orgasms in their sleep, or who don't know whether or not they've had them, are perfectly normal. It may be easier for men to identify their wet dreams because of the "ejaculatory evidence." Vaginal secretions could be a sign of sexual arousal without orgasm.

Similar studies find that a much higher percentage of boys and men experience wet dreams. This, combined with a greater focus on male sexuality by science and the public in general, are probably two big reasons why we don't hear very much about women's nighttime orgasms. In fact, Alice thinks this is the first time this question has been posed here. Thanks for asking.

For some more information about wet dreams, read Dry up my wet dreams! in Alice's Sexuality archive.

510672
I am a 23 yr old woman and I have "wet dreams" pretty often, at least once a month. It happens in my sleep and sometimes I don't even wake up, but in the morning I remember feeling it and I have...
I am a 23 yr old woman and I have "wet dreams" pretty often, at least once a month. It happens in my sleep and sometimes I don't even wake up, but in the morning I remember feeling it and I have wetness lol. When it happens I am not even touching anything, I think its amazing that its all in my head and that alone, can make me orgasm. For some reason orgasming for me when Im awake, isnt that easy. Wish I knew why

21223
Yes!

It is possible for a woman to have a "wet dream." I am, in fact, speaking from a semi-creeped-out personal experience.

I was 18 and living with my boyfriend at the time, and I had...

Yes!

I was 18 and living with my boyfriend at the time, and I had what I believed to be a healthy sexual life-style.

What I can remember is that I had a very vivid dream, most of which didn't make any sense. I dreamed that I'd gone back to visit people I'd lived with, only now they lived in a medieval castle, and one of my friends who had passed away was there. I came to realize that a man and a woman were chasing me, so I ran away. I came to a tower, and ran up to the top of it. When I got there, I discovered that I was suddenly naked, and the man and woman came into the room. The man stood at the top of the stairs while the woman came up to me. I was backed into a corner, and she put her mouth on my "nether regions." At the same time, I felt an incredible amount of pleasure all at once, as if I'd had an instant orgasm. Being a decidedly straight young woman, not having any feelings of that sort for women at all, this shocked me, and I woke up thinking that it could only have been brought on by my partner coming to bed. Upon waking I found that I was still alone in bed and passed it off, going straight back to sleep.

It's been 2 years since then, and I've not had another before or since. As someone who normally has a shockingly bad memory, and can't remember dreams for more than a few hours (unless they were nightmares), I suppose it shows how much of an impact it had upon me.

I apologize for the long walls of text, but I hope this can help other young women understand dreams a little better.