Curved penis

Originally Published: September 1, 1993 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: December 12, 2008

I have a problem with my penis. Even in the midst of excitement, it is not erect but it is curved. Is that a problem or something to be concerned about?

—Signed, Straight and Narrow

Dear Straight and Narrow,

Like other physical characteristics, penises come in different shapes and sizes. Some are longer, some are shorter, some are broader, some are narrower, some curve to the left, some to the right, some not at all. You mention that even in the midst of excitement, your penis is not erect. Erection is caused during arousal by more blood flowing into the penis than flows out. However, erect does not mean exactly straight as an arrow, hard as nails, perpendicular to your body, and parallel to the floor. Each person's erection is unique as well.

Some questions for you to consider: Does your penis change at all when you are excited? Does it get hard enough to put on a condom? Do you experience orgasm and ejaculate when you masturbate? If all of your answers are "yes," then you don't have a problem — your penis seems to be behaving normally. It may only be your expectations that are a problem. If you answered "no" to any of these questions, you likely will want to make an appointment with Health Services or your health care provider so that you can have your concerns addressed personally.  If you are student at Columbia you can call 4-2284 or log into Open Communicator to make an appointment. 

Congratulations on being in touch with yourself and understanding just how unique you really are!

20566
Hi Alice, Have no fear, many guys are the same as you, including me. I have never had a problem and my sex life is as normal as I imagine it can be. I have only had one girl out of many comment and...
Hi Alice, Have no fear, many guys are the same as you, including me. I have never had a problem and my sex life is as normal as I imagine it can be. I have only had one girl out of many comment and she was absolutely fascinated and it resulted in a wonderful relationship for many months. One woman even went so far as to say it gave her the best orgasms ever, particularly from behind.

20432
Alice, What are all the worries about making a curved penis straight? I have a penis that curves to the left like a banana and not only do I like the way it looks, most women who see it comment how...
Alice, What are all the worries about making a curved penis straight? I have a penis that curves to the left like a banana and not only do I like the way it looks, most women who see it comment how they think it looks sexy. Also, usually most penises that are curved to the side seem to be longer than penises that are "straight."