Cunnilingus and menstruation?

Originally Published: February 24, 1995 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 9, 1998

If one has a long-term partner and neither AIDS nor any other STD is a concern, is there any medical reason not to perform cunnilingus on a menstruating woman? My significant other is particularly horny during her period and would love cunnilingus at this time. I am willing but curious.

--Safe

Dear Safe,

If there is no history of STDs for you and your partner, then go for it. Orgasms can help relieve menstrual cramps, so sexual activity during menstruation can be a bonus.

For those of you who don't like the idea of oral sex during a woman's period, know that on some days, she has a lighter flow than others; and, when a woman takes a bath, often her period stops for a while.

For those of you who are unsure of your partner's STD status, you can use a dam or an opened-up rectangular piece of non-lubed condom to protect both of you during her period. (Non-microwaveable plastic wrap also works in a pinch.)