CU Move — Columbia's physical activity program

Originally Published: September 1, 1993 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 17, 2014

I received a brochure at Law School orientation that said that Alice! sponsors CU Move. I like to run alone. Can I still join, and if so, what do I need to do?

—New to the City

Dear New to the City,

Welcome to New York City, one of the greatest cities for walking, running, and many other indoor and outdoor physical activities. Yes, the Alice! Health Promotion, part of Columbia Health, manages CU Move, a physical activity initiative open to all Columbia students, faculty, alumni, and staff. CU Move encourages members of the Columbia community to engage in active lives that include regular physical activity. The program provides participants with motivation and incentives to be active throughout the year. Actually, CU Move encourages all types of exercise, not just running. You can participate whether you like to work out alone or in a group. One of the goals of the program is to encourage members to exercise at least 100 minutes per week.

To join register for the e-mail list online at CU Move. You'll also program features, inspirational reasons to participate, and links to other physical activity resources.

CU Move has some outstanding features, including:

• Motivational messages — receive inspirational emails that will help you stick to your regular exercise program through messages tailored to your specific level of activity
  • Incentives and prizes — stay active and receive rewards, including limited-edition fitness gear, music gift cards, and other fun and inspirational incentives.
  • Campus events — interact with campus fitness experts, learn how to improve your fitness level, and get free giveaways

Participating in CU Move is a great way for both runners and other exercise enthusiasts to set goals and track fitness progress over time. The program will also provide opportunities for you to connect with other fitness-related programs on campus, such as Dodge Fitness Center and other special campus and community events.

So, whether you are an avid exerciser or just beginning to think about starting a regular exercise program, we'd love to CU Move!