Creative ideas for a long-distance Valentine's Day

Originally Published: February 13, 1998 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: April 22, 2013

My boyfriend is on a Naval ship and I wanted to do something special for him, for Valentine's Day. We have email, but I can't really send a lot via that. I want to make his day, but I don't know what I can do for him, with such limited access to things. Any Ideas? Let me know.

—S

Dear S,

How do I say I love thee? Let me count the ways… written words of love, caring, desires, fantasies, and goals can be powerful substitutes in the absence of direct one-to-one.  However, if the old-fashioned love-letter has lost its romantic luster, here are a few suggestions for Valentine's Day, other special occasions, and those valued times when you can be together:

• An "I love you" bookmark sent via snail mail, fax, e-mail, or the Internet.
  • Coupons he can redeem when he sees you, such as for one hot steamy kiss, a back massage, a foot massage, a sensual bath... together, etc.
  • Homemade valentines — with lace, glue, perfume, lipstick kiss marks all over the envelope, sweets, etc.
  • A book of erotic stories.
  • Love poetry — either written by a favorite author or poet, or personally written by you.
  • An audiotape that tells your partner what you will do when you are together, a song you have composed just for your partner, or a mix of your favorite love songs.
  • A video montage of your relationship together or a favorite romantic film.
  • Erotic art — you can buy a print at a museum store or art shop, or draw/paint/sculpt/photograph/create your own.

For more information on relating and communicating, check out the Alice! Relationships archive or read the related questions below. Remember, the possibilities are limitless — all you need is a little creativity... and love.

Love always,