CPR and first aid training referral

Originally Published: June 26, 1998 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: April 27, 2012

I want to get trained in CPR and first aid... where is the closest place I can do so?

In an emergency, having someone around who can assess the situation, call for help, and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and/or first aid when necessary is often crucial. Many people worry that they might not know how to handle a situation in which someone goes into sudden cardiac arrest, but with CPR training, you’ll be in the know!

To find out where you can take a CPR class, call your local hospital or the nearest chapter of the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association (AHA). Additionally, if you are affiliated with Columbia University, CU has certified CPR instructors and offers CPR and basic first aid classes upon request. For more information, check out the CU EMS website.

Just in case you can’t get to a class right away, there is another effective option for helping someone who suddenly goes into cardiac arrest. The AHA has recently developed a simplified version of CPR, called Hands-Only CPR. This version removes the mouth-to-mouth portion of the activity and instead focuses on chest compressions. Check out the AHA’s website for more information on the Hands-Only method, including a step-by-step demo!