Cold sores

Originally Published: April 19, 1996 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: July 9, 2012

I get cold sores around my mouth and nose all the time; I have since I can remember. I know that they can be caused by both physical illness and mental stress. Is there any way to reduce the frequency with which I get them, i.e., diet? Please help me, I feel like a leper.

Yours truly,

Jen

Dear Jen,

It turns out that preventing cold sores has a lot to do with maintaining your overall wellness. Most cold sores are a result of the herpes simplex virus (HSV) that some people harbor, which crops up as an outbreak or "episode" from time to time, usually from stress, and possibly from too much sun. Staying healthy is vital to strengthening your immune system and keeping herpes outbreaks at bay. This includes:

• Staying active: Participating in regular physical activity. For adults, this means 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity per week, in addition to muscle-strengthening activities on 2 or more days per week that strengthen all major muscle groups.
  • Eating a well-balanced diet, chock full of fruits, veggies, grains, and protein.
  • Getting enough sleep: For most people, this means 7 to 8 hours per night. You can check out the A! Sleep Site for more information.
  • Managing your stress: Keeping your stress level down (in all realms of your life) can help keep your immune system strong.
  • In addition, some people find that keeping their lips moisturized in the winter, covered with sunscreen in the summer, and protected from the wind, seems to decrease the number of outbreaks.

Depending upon how often you get cold sores, you may want to see your health care provider. Columbia students can make an appointment with Medical Services through Open Communicator, or by calling x4-2284. S/he may be able to describe possible treatment for your cold sores, including certain medications. For example, some people find that acyclovir ointment speeds the healing process when they apply it to their lips, 5-6 times a day, when they feel a cold sore coming. In severe cases, prescription drugs may be prescribed.

For more information, you can check out the related Q&As below. In addition, you can read Charles Ebel’s book, Managing Herpes. It is full of great information on both oral and genital herpes.

Here’s to happy and healthy living,

534344
Thank you for a this great article. I always got cold sores when I had a high stress level. Now I try to manage my stress level and it seems to really help.