Cheap, romantic gift ideas

Originally Published: November 2, 2001 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: April 7, 2014

What is a romantic gift I could give my boyfriend on our two-year anniversary, spending the least amount of money possible? College girls tend to be broke these days.

A thoughtful and meaningful gift need not be expensive, and will likely be appreciated more than a pricey, yet impersonal, present. Some suggestions follow, but the real key will be to think about your boyfriend's taste, interests, and personality. Also, consider the ways you enjoy spending time with him. Do you like to be alone together? Do you like to have an activity to share, or simply talk for hours? Do you both love a certain kind of food or music? To help get you started thinking, here are some possibilities:

• A love poem penned by you?
  • A playlist of his favorite songs, or tunes that you listened to together?
  • A framed photo of the two of you?
  • A basket/box/bag full of things that remind you of him and your relationship (e.g., food, pictures, books, stuffed animals, sex toys, etc.)?
  • A day of things he loves to do?
  • A surprise train/bus/car day-trip to somewhere he's never been, but wants to go?
  • An evening of sensual relaxation: a homemade candlelight dinner, soft music, and a massage (from you)?
  • A sunset, beach blanket, and a bottle of wine, sparkling cider, water, whatever?
  • A book or envelope of your appreciations for him?
  • A themed video/movie night with his favorite films, or genre of films?
  • A short video starring you and featuring romantic scenes, memorable places you've visited together, and lots of deep thoughts by you?
  • An envelope of coupons he can redeem for any of the above, and/or other, ideas?
  • Or, some combination of some of the above?

You may want to check the reader responses to this question, some great suggestions are listed there as well.

Happy anniversary!

21129

Last year I received the most romantic gift from my boyfriend and I don't think it costs too much (about $10). It was a soap that he ordered from a website — a big red heart with his...

Last year I received the most romantic gift from my boyfriend and I don't think it costs too much (about $10). It was a soap that he ordered from a website — a big red heart with his love message inside. You can choose from a selection of three soap shapes and a list of fragrances. You can customize a message or choose from a list of pre-designed messages to appear on the soap. You can even put your own picture inside!

21506

I did this for my boyfriend's birthday last year, and it was so fun watching him open it! I wrote out a poem that incorporated little objects I could get for cheap or nothing. (...

I did this for my boyfriend's birthday last year, and it was so fun watching him open it! I wrote out a poem that incorporated little objects I could get for cheap or nothing. (A penny for your thoughts, a paperclip to keep you organized, a pick for your music, a kiss because I love you, etc.) I wrote each line of the poem on a different index card and taped the object to it and strung them all together. I packed them in a gift bag and the 1st card was hanging out the front and said "pull me." I had about 20 cards and they built up in quality. A cute and a fun way to give a gift :)

21110

I have the perfect (and cheap) gift. I got a couple bags of Hershey's Kisses for my boyfriend, and then made a list of reasons for why I love him. I put each reason...

I have the perfect (and cheap) gift. I got a couple bags of Hershey's Kisses for my boyfriend, and then made a list of reasons for why I love him. I put each reason on a tiny slip of paper and wrapped it up with the Kiss. He was so moved he cried!

21027

I also have a good cheap idea. Once I took all the good photos of my boyfriend and I and laid them on the floor spaced out a little in a big line. Then I borrowed a friend's...

I also have a good cheap idea. Once I took all the good photos of my boyfriend and I and laid them on the floor spaced out a little in a big line. Then I borrowed a friend's video camera and slowly went over each picture. I also had background music playing one of our songs. Then I gave him the tape and let him watch it! It was so cute and he loved it. He still has it!

20716
Dear Alice, This is in relation to the question about cheap, romantic gift ideas, I have one that I'd like to share. I'm usually a very sexually shy person, so I'm going to shock my very overly...
Dear Alice, This is in relation to the question about cheap, romantic gift ideas, I have one that I'd like to share. I'm usually a very sexually shy person, so I'm going to shock my very overly sexual boyfriend for Christmas! I went to a library in the next county where no one would know me and I borrowed a book of sexual positions and how to do them. Then I picked out my favorite ones (12 for the 12 days of Christmas) and instead of presenting them in person, I'm going to mail them to his PO box, even though we work together and I see him pretty regularly. I haven't said anything to him, but I hope he likes it and then just before Christmas, I'm planning a rendezvous at a friend's apartment (she'll be away the weekend before Christmas), where we can try out the positions! Just a thought. :) Hopeless Romantic

20516
Alice, I have a suggestion for the person who wanted a cheap, romantic gift for her guy. If you can sew, and you don't have to be good or anything, you could make him a pair of pillowcases! It may...
Alice, I have a suggestion for the person who wanted a cheap, romantic gift for her guy. If you can sew, and you don't have to be good or anything, you could make him a pair of pillowcases! It may sound dumb, but if you pick the right fabric, fluffy and soft is usually the best, then you'll have a really nice gift that will make him think of you whenever he goes to sleep! Try and find a fabric that matches his bed sheets, that washes well, and that feels nice against your face. Good luck!