Boyfriend sits down when he urinates

Originally Published: October 6, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 24, 2015

My boyfriend sits on the toilet when he urinates (I thought most guys stand when they urinate). This seems unusual. Any thoughts?

Maybe he's tired. Could your boyfriend be bashful about broadcasting his business? Did he grow accustomed to sit-down pees as a kid from having gone to the women's room with his mom? Could he be taking care of two things at once? Is he reading, too? Maybe he's splash proofing so you'll stay dry? Don't know what the stats are on positions-when-urinating, but it's probably safe to say that most guys stand, largely because it's faster and easier, plus urinals don't make for comfortable seating. Your boyfriend may just feel more comfortable sitting down to pee.

If you want to start a discussion on urination positions, you could either try standing yourself the next time nature calls (if you're a woman); or, over a romantic dinner, you can say, "Hey honey, I've noticed that you tinkle hands-free — you know, like you're only supposed to do for #2." Or, "I've heard that you pee sitting down and I was wondering... what's up with that?" Point: If you and your boyfriend are happy and tight, perhaps the exacts of his excretions aren't really important. Shucks, don't we all deserve to pee in peace?

600310
I'm 15 at the time I'm posting this, a guy. I have sit down to pee all my life. If there are empty urinals but the stalls are filled, I'll wait. It's atcually quite difficult for me to start while...
I'm 15 at the time I'm posting this, a guy. I have sit down to pee all my life. If there are empty urinals but the stalls are filled, I'll wait. It's atcually quite difficult for me to start while standing, I have to constantly push, and even then, there's a very rare chance that I'll get it all out. I may have just been conditioned to sit after years of doing so.

20357
Dear Alice, RE: BOYFRIEND SITS DOWN WHEN HE URINATES I had to respond to the question about the guy who sat down to pee. I do as well, as do some of my other male friends...
Dear Alice, RE: BOYFRIEND SITS DOWN WHEN HE URINATES I had to respond to the question about the guy who sat down to pee. I do as well, as do some of my other male friends. Part of it is, as you surmised, an attempt to take care of both #1 and #2 in one visit. Part of it is habit due to years of bathroom reading while growing up. But that's not just it (at least not for me). I'm anti-urinal. I never stand when there is a stall available. Urinals stink, there's no privacy, and you do have to worry about splash-back. Plus, there's no toilet paper. It's always embarrassing to pee standing up, finish your business, zip up, and find out there was a little dribble left, which now has created a damp spot on the front of your trousers. That NEVER happens while sitting. I don't know if this makes me odd, or strange, but if it does, so what? If you've taught me anything over the years, Alice, it's that it's better to be the man you are than to worry about what's "normal." So sign me: Sitting on the Throne