Are part-time TC students eligible for counseling services at Columbia?

Originally Published: October 1, 1993 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 30, 2007

Hi. I'm a TC student registered for nine credits this semester. Recent events in my life have caused me to come under severe stress. I think that I am beginning to manifest signs of clinical depression. I just called the Counseling and Psychological Services office and was advised that I am not eligible for counseling. Is there anything I can do? I feel as though I should talk to someone soon.

— Walking the line

Dear Walking the line,

It's great that you're reaching out for help. In general, graduate and undergraduate students who've paid the Health Service Program fee can get counseling at Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS). If you don't know if you've paid the fee, you can call the Office of Insurance and Immunization Records at Teachers College at 212.678.3006 to find out the details of your specific situation.

The office will be able to tell you if you're eligible for services at CPS. If you are, you can contact CPS at 212.854.2878 (x4-2878) to schedule an appointment. If you aren't eligible, there are other options:

• If you would like to see someone at CPS, you can pay the Health Service Program fee at any point during the year. For more information, check out the Health Service Program website. To request enrollment, fill out the Health Services Program Enrollment Form, and turn it in to the Office of Insurance and Immunization Records at Teachers College in 159 Thorndike Hall.
  • If you have private insurance, you can call your insurance company and ask about benefits, providers, and how to get hooked up with a health care provider.
  • If you don't have private insurance, you still have options. Check out the related Q&As below for some ideas.

Navigating the web of mental health care to get the help you need can be daunting. It can be even more stressful when you're feeling down-and-out, but this is a time you need help the most. At times when you might feel like giving up, try your best to keep searching until you get connected with a provider.