Hey Alice!

I'm an athlete, and about a year ago, I purchased one of those ab rollers. One time, I was going through the motions and I experienced an orgasm. Now, it happens about every time I use it. I thought it was extremely weird, but then read where women experience orgasms through lots of things. I was just wondering how it is possible for those feelings to happen just by working out my abs. Also, what are some other weird ways that women have had orgasms? Thanks so much.

Abs of Steel

Dear Abs of Steel,

Yowza! You're having what's known in the research world as an "exercise-induced orgasm." In your case, a "coregasm!" You're right, there are many, even surprising ways in which women, as well as men, orgasm. One of which is through exercise. A recent Indiana University study found that a number of women (and men!) have experienced orgasm during all sorts of exercise — climbing, pull-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and more. Consider yourself lucky — some people might even envy that you are toning your abs and getting an added perk at the same time!

While some women orgasm from direct stimulation of the clitoris and/or through penetration, others are triggered by a variety of sensations, thoughts, and/or experiences. Orgasming while exercising can occur when doing sit-ups or pelvic thrusts. Muscles in the lower body — the abdomen, pelvic floor, upper thighs, and buttocks — are tightened and released repeatedly. These regular contractions in your lower body can cause arousing feelings and sexual response. The friction from your clothing may be rubbing you in just the right spot when you are doing your crunches, resulting in a rhythmic massage. It's also possible that you are triggering an area of your body that is your own unique erogenous zone. Exercise is also a great way to release emotional, mental, and/or physical tension that, for many, contributes to orgasm, another kind of release.

What about other ways that women orgasm? Well, how long do you have? Women become aroused and are able to orgasm by thinking sexy thoughts, feeling the vibrations while riding a motorcycle, sitting on or leaning against the washing machine during the spin cycle, feeling pressure on their vulva from a bicycle seat while riding, using water pressure from a shower head or faucet, deep breathing techniques that may lead to a euphoric state of mind, sensations from urinating or moving bowels, thrusting against a pillow, receiving a foot massage, or dancing by one's self. Pleasure, pressure, excitement, and orgasm stem from many sources. Enjoy (and never stop learning)!