I tried looking for an answer to my question in the archives, but didn't find one. What I want to know is if it is normal that my boyfriend's semen has clumps (I don't know how else to describe it) in it? The semen has never been clumpy before, but the last time I gave him a blowjob, the semen had a chunky consistency to it. Should I be worried that this may be an STD, or is this kind of thing related to other things, and if so, what are they? Thanks.

A little worried.

Dear A little worried,

There's no need to stress — this phenomenon isn't as sticky as it might seem. Chunky or clumpy semen is normal and is NOT a symptom of a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Semen (a.k.a. cum, ejaculate) can vary in texture, odor, color, and taste. While the differences are due mainly to each man's biology, factors such as temperature, physical activity, diet, and recent ejaculations also affect what comes out after a "happy ending."

Semen can also change in consistency and appearance in the minutes after leaving the penis. After ejaculation, proteins contained in semen can cause it to become thick, sticky, and clumpy. This consistency helps increase the chances for fertilization, since the semen stays high in the vagina, making it less likely to run right out of it until a bit later.

In the event that the change in your boyfriend's semen is accompanied by pain or unusual discharge from his penis, that's another story — he would need to visit a health care provider or urologist. 

Otherwise, continue to have fun with your boyfriend — chunks, clumps, and all!

0