Hello Alice,

I am a 23-year-old vegetarian male, though I eat fish and milk products. I would like to know how I can improve the taste of my sperm, as my girlfriend greatly dislikes the taste. I am interested to know how diet and exercise can improve the taste. Your reply would be greatly appreciated, as this is a topic that is difficult to talk to health professionals about.

The taste of, and the taste for, semen (the fluid that sperm are in) is unique for each person. While no definitive link between diet, physical activity, and the taste of semen (frequently called cum) has been scientifically established, there’s plenty of anecdotal evidence for you to test (more on that in a bit). That being said, there is plenty of research to indicate that diet can impact sperm health. Additionally, you may want to consider alternative ways to experience physical intimacy that make both you and your partner excited. Want to know more about all of this? Keep on reading!

Some people claim that eating (or drinking the juice of) certain fruits and veggies, such as pineapple, papaya, and citrus fruits, makes cum more palatable. On the flip side, some foods may have the potential to make semen funkier tasting — these include asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and garlic. There are also reports that red meat, cheese, coffee, alcohol, and cigarettes are among the products that make cum taste worse. Regarding physical activity's influence on taste, you or your girlfriend could sample your semen before and after you work out to see if there’s a discernible difference. Remember, whether or not you alter your diet or physical activity patterns, your semen (like your breath and perspiration) have a taste and smell all their own, so any modifications you make may only have a short-term effect.

Interestingly, even if these lifestyle changes don’t jazz up the taste of your juices, they do have the potential to improve the quality and quantity of your sperm (and your overall health). Studies show diets high in dairy, sugar, processed meats, and red meat negatively impact sperm motility, mobility, and count. Likewise, high alcohol consumption may negatively impact sperm quality. So, for the sake of your sperm’s health (and potentially taste), it may be best to stick with a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins.

You might also consider having a discussion with your girlfriend to see if there are changes to your sex life you both would be willing to explore. For example, perhaps it’s not the taste of your semen, but rather that your partner prefers that you ejaculate somewhere other than in her mouth. You could also try using flavored condoms or flavored lube on your penis to make oral sex more enjoyable. In the meantime, try thinking about the fun and pleasurable activities that you already do together with your partner, rather than focusing on what is distasteful to her.

Here’s to a tasty ending,