The service that you provide is very informative. Thank you for it. When I have sex with my girlfriend and I thrust my penis deep into her body, she says that she can feel it hit something hard inside her body. I can't feel it hit anything. She is very curious to know what it is that I am hitting. Could you shed some light on this issue?

Curious about her body

Dear Curious about her body,

Chances are that what your girlfriend feels is the pressure of your penis against her cervix. The cervix forms the base, or a sort of neck, of the uterus. Your girlfriend can actually feel her cervix with her finger — if she slides her middle finger back along her vagina as far as possible, she will probably feel something like the tip of her nose with a small dimple in the middle.

The fact that you're hitting her cervix at all may be an indicator of her body's level of arousal. Typically, when a woman is aroused, her uterus and cervix will ascend, lengthening her vaginal barrel. This usually means that the penis doesn't hit the cervix. If she feels this pressure often, perhaps it's her body's way of telling her that she's not quite ready for penetration, or that you're in too deep. Making sure she is aroused and changing positions may help.

The cervix has fewer nerves than much of the rest of the female reproductive system, which is why your girlfriend feels a sensation of pressure against her cervix. If, however, what she feels is pain, it may be a sign of certain health problems. For example, if pain on deep thrusting is frequently present and/or she experiences severe dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation), she may have a retroverted (tilted) uterus. For women with a tilted uterus, sexual intercourse can be uncomfortable because of pressure on the rectum and ligaments of the coccyx bone. Fortunately, changing sexual positions may help relieve discomfort.

In addition to pain during intercourse, a tilted uterus can also be associated with conditions such as endometriosis and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). If your partner is experiencing pelvic pain, it is best if she schedule an appointment to see a health care provider. Great job keeping up on your partner’s body — a little curiosity goes a long way when it comes to health!

0