I want to get trained in CPR and first aid... where is the closest place I can do so?

In an emergency, having someone around who can assess the situation, call for help, and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and/or first aid when necessary is often crucial. Many people worry that they might not know how to handle a situation in which someone goes into sudden cardiac arrest, but with CPR training, you’ll be in the know!

To find out where you can take a CPR class, call your local hospital or the nearest chapter of the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association (AHA). Additionally, if you are affiliated with a university, your university may offer CPR and First Aid classes as well.

Just in case you can’t get to a class right away, there is another effective option for helping someone who suddenly goes into cardiac arrest. The AHA has recently developed a simplified version of CPR, called Hands-Only CPR. This version removes the mouth-to-mouth portion of the activity and instead focuses on chest compressions. Check out the AHA’s website for more information on the Hands-Only method, including a step-by-step demo!