Anger management group therapy?

Originally Published: July 17, 2009 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: September 20, 2013

It has come to my attention over the last several months that I have an pretty signficant anger management problem that must be addressed with professional help. Do you know of any anger management groups in New York City? Or, could you recommend a resource that could help me locate a group for anger management? I am already in individual counseling, but I believe that I would benefit from the group dynamic.

Thank you.

First off, props to you for taking the initiative to address your anger problems head-on. Hopefully the individual counseling has helped you begin to manage your anger in a healthier way. As you mentioned, many people find that group therapy, in addition to individual counseling, is useful in dealing with anger issues.

One easy way to find an anger management group is to ask your current therapist for a referral. Since your therapist is familiar with your history and anger issues, s/he will be able to help you find a group that meets your needs. As another option, you may want to talk with your therapist about alternative treatments in your individual counseling. For example, there are a variety of approaches to anger management including interventions focused on relaxation, cognitive processes that trigger hostility, social skills, or a combination of these techniques. If you're not fully satisfied with your current counseling, it may be worthwhile to explore other potential treatment methods.

If you are a Columbia student, you may be interested in individual or group therapy at Counseling and Psychological Services on the Morningside campus or Mental Health Services (MHS) on the Medical Center campus. Although CPS does not offer a specific anger management group, the Distress Tolerance Group may be helpful. This group helps participants build skills to manage emotions, tolerate stress, and increase self-care. For more information about counseling services and groups, you can contact CPS or MHS. Additionally, both CPS and MHS can make referrals to off-campus therapy or group counseling.

It's not unusual to try one or more groups (or therapists) before finding the one that is most helpful to you. Perhaps asking around, making a few calls, and exploring all of your options will help you find the solution you seek. Best of luck finding a counseling style that works for you!