Anal sex — Pregnant?

Originally Published: January 10, 1997 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: March 28, 2003

Last night, my girlfriend and I had anal sex without a condom. She is a virgin.

Is there a probability for her to get pregnant?

I would appreciate a lot your help.

Worried Boy

Dear Worried Boy,

The anal opening leads to the rectum (the storage area for feces prior to defecation), which is one segment of the large intestine. The large intestine is an organ that is part of the exclusive and fully-enclosed gastrointestinal (GI) tract, which is open at a person's lips, ending at the anal opening. More importantly, regarding your question, the GI system is not directly connected with the reproductive tract; therefore, sperm entering the anus cannot swim through the GI tract to reach the egg in the reproductive tract. Similarly, sperm entering the mouth cannot cause pregnancy.

The only way a woman might possibly become pregnant from anal play is if ejaculated semen is near the opening of the vagina and that semen happens to work its way deep into the vaginal opening. Otherwise, there is no chance of conception with anal sex.

If you are unsure of your STI (sexually transmitted infection) status, however, it would be important to use safer sex techniques, such as a latex condom, during any sexual activity, including anal sex.