Anal ejaculate?

| Originally Published: March 10, 2000

I am a sixteen-year-old male. I don't consider myself to be gay by any means, but like many other guys I have read about on your site, I enjoy anal stimulation during masturbation, or even by itself. I have a question, though. When I perform anal masturbation, I have an orgasm... I suppose through anal masturbation. It smells and looks like sperm, and there is a lot. It only happens after I am aroused. When I have an orgasm, it sort of comes out as if I were coming from my penis. What is this? What's the deal? I thought that your anus couldn't lubricate? Thanks!

Slippery anus

Dear Slippery anus,

Actually, it's normal for the inside of the anus to continually produce some natural lubricant. During sexual arousal, the inner anal canal may generate more lube than usual. This substance can be "ejaculated" through the anus as a result of contractions due to stimulation and an empty bowel. Although you liken your anal ejaculate to semen, it's plain ol' mucous that's been secreted by the lining of the bowel. This is normal and nothing to be worried about. However, if you have constant diarrhea, pain during bowel movements, blood in your stools, and/or other symptoms, that's a different issue and you'd be wise to wash your hands and see a health care provider.