Allergic to eggs: What else can be used when cooking?

Originally Published: November 3, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: December 23, 2008

My brother-in-law is very allergic to eggs or egg products. What can I use as a substitute in recipes?

--Sis

Dear Sis,

How nice of you to cater to your relative! Since your brother-in-law is so allergic to eggs and products containing eggs, you can't use many of the egg "substitutes" on the market because they do contain egg. That leaves you to experiment with other ingredients, which may alter the texture of the final product. That's because eggs act as an emulsifier in many recipes, which means they mix oil and water together.

Since the following modifications are not guaranteed to produce a product as similar in texture and as tasty as when they contain eggs, they are listed as suggestions only. For baking, two accepted substitutions are:

• In place of each egg, use: 1-½ teaspoons of oil and 1-½ teaspoons of water and 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • In place of 2 eggs and ½ cup of oil, use: ½ cup of plain yogurt

Instead of using eggs to help bread a chicken or veal cutlet, try milk, although it won't bind the breadcrumbs as well. Or you can be creative and opt to prepare the food in another way.

Substitutions generally can be trial and error, especially when the ingredient to be replaced serves a vital function in cooking, as the emulsifying action of eggs often does. Hopefully, whether or not your brother-in-law finds the egg-less creations you concoct to his liking, at least he knows you're thinking about his special dietary need.

21351

There are commercial egg-replacers on the market that are great for baking and do not contain any animal products whatsoever, including dairy and eggs. One brand is Ener-G and you...

There are commercial egg-replacers on the market that are great for baking and do not contain any animal products whatsoever, including dairy and eggs. One brand is Ener-G and you can find it at health food stores, but it's not by the eggs, usually. It will be with the baking supplies. I have personally used this brand in pancake, cake, bread, cookie, and pie recipes, to name a few, and it works great! Just be sure to follow the directions on the box. If done correctly, you cannot taste or see the difference. Well, no one I've fed my baked goods to has seemed to, anyway!

Another alternative that works well in some recipes is mashed bananas.

Like Alice said, it's trial and error when learning which recipes work and which don't work with egg replacers.

—Vegan Grrrl