Alice's writing habits

Originally Published: March 10, 2000 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: June 16, 2011

I read your answer to the question, "Why do you answer dumb questions?" and wonder if that was my question with a lot of editing or if someone else thought that the exact same two previously answered questions were dumb. I submitted Why do you answer dumb questions? several weeks ago and mentioned the same two previously answered questions as "Who do I thank for my penis?" and "Can we have sex when pregnant?" but it was not signed susan nor did my question mention me asking about yeast infections, yet the format and much of the content was exactly the same, which makes me realize that maybe a lot of the questions posted are partially fabricated.

There were two separate and remarkably similar submissions on the topic of "dumb questions." It's not uncommon for such twins to appear in the GAA! e-mailbox, suggesting that many of us share the same thoughts and feelings. When a question is signed with a name, Go Ask Alice! changes inquirers' names and their locations to something similar: for example, from "José in San Diego" to "Jorgé in San Francisco." Why? It's done to protect privacy. You may think you're completely anonymous sitting there behind your computer screen, but it can be a small World... Wide Web, too.

Occasionally, Go Ask Alice! also alters grammar and spelling to make the language of the question more clear, but never to change the context, meaning, and format.  As far as your concerns about fabrication, considering the rich array of the more than 1,000 inquiries received each week in Alice!'s emailbox, there's no need to make up questions, in part or in whole. We have a vast supply of intriguing, thoughtful, quirky, and/or serious questions from real readers like yourself — and we hope you will keep them coming!