Alerts and Recalls
Health Alerts and Recalls
This page provides information on recent health alerts and food and product recalls that may be important to Go Ask Alice! readers. Alerts and other information on this page will be updated as information becomes available, but please remember that Go Ask Alice! is not a news site or an emergency service. For rapid and timely access to emergent health information, please visit the CDC's Health Alert Network (HAC).
Food borne illness affects nearly 48 million Americans each year, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. It is important to watch for news of recalls or outbreaks to avoid getting sick. The following items have been recalled, as they pose a potential risk for food borne illness:
- 2/13/15: Goya Foods, Inc. Issues Recalls of Goya Black Bean Soup Due to Undeclared Peanut Protien
- 2/11/15: Moscahlades Bros Inc.of Paterson, NJ, Issues Recalls of Hellas Golden Double Smoked Herring Due to Possible Health Risk of Botulism.
- 2/9/15: Whole Foods Market Issues Recalls of Items Prepared with Supplier-provided Ground Cumin Spice (Ex. prepared salads, tacos/burritos, and other seasoned items) Due to Undeclared Peanut.
- 2/9/15: Spiceco of Avenel, New Jersey Issues recalls on 5 oz. containers of Pride of Szeged Sweet Hungarian Paprika sold between 9/18/2014 and 10/3/2014 due to undeclared peanut allergen.
- 7/11/14: Voluntary Nationwide recall of tattoo Ink, tattoo needles, tattoo kits due to microbial contamination
Helpful Links and Other Resources:
- You can always stay on top of food and drug recalls by visiting the FDA Food and Product Recall list.
- For general information on food safety and safe handling, visit FoodSafety.Gov, published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- For global health news, visit the World Health Organization.