Alerts and Recalls
Health Alerts and Recalls
This page provides information on recent health alerts and food and product recalls that may be important to Go Ask Alice! readers. Alerts and other information on this page will be updated as information becomes available, but please remember that Go Ask Alice! is not a news site or an emergency service. For rapid and timely access to emergent health information, please visit the CDC's Health Alert Network (HAC).
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) regularly issues warnings and updates about emerging health concerns in the United States. Many of these warnings are particularly important for people who plan to travel abroad, have recently traveled abroad, or who did not receive the recommended set of childhood vaccinations. The CDC is currently reporting:
- 8/26/2013: Possible exposure to hepatitis A for patrons who ate cut fruit at Westside Market on Broadway between 97th and 98th street. The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene are recommending a hepatitis vaccine for people who ate cut fruit between August 9 - 22 at this location.
- 8/02/2013: The NYC Health Department confirms the first human cases of the West Nile virus this season in two Staten Island residents.
- 07/31/2013: New data reports diabetes on the rise for New Yorkers.
Food borne illness affects nearly 48 million Americans each year, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. It is important to watch for news of recalls or outbreaks to avoid getting sick. The following items have been recalled, as they pose a potential risk for food borne illness:
- 9/5/13: Chobani voluntarily recalls Greek yogurt and has ceased the distribution of the product due to reports of bloating and swelling of the containers. There have also been claims of illness.
- 8/24/13 Dove Chocolate (DCD) has issued an allergy alert and is voluntarily recalling its Dark Chocolate-Covered Fruit Collection boxes because some boxes may contain undeclared nuts
- 7/28/13: A recall of all Trois Comtois brand Morbier cheese (lot #949038) is being issued by Trois Comtois of Poligny, France because it has the potential to be contaiminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- 09/03/2013: Target Recalls Threshold Floor Lamps Due to Fire and Shock Hazard due to received reports resulting in fires, property damage and shocks.
- 08/20/13: Wilton Industries recalls Chefmate Tea Kettles due to burn risk. This tea kettle is sold exclusively at Target and consumers should stop using the product.
- 08/15/13: Black & Decker Spacemaker Coffeemaker recall due to injury hazard. Consumers should stop using this product immediately due to risk of cuts and burns.
Helpful Links and Other Resources:
- You can always stay on top of food and drug recalls by visiting the FDA Food and Product Recall list.
- For general information on food safety and safe handling, visit FoodSafety.Gov, published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- For global health news, visit the World Health Organization.