Alcohol enemas?

Originally Published: May 12, 2006 - Last Updated / Reviewed On: October 26, 2007
Hello Alice,

I have been living an "alternative" lifestyle for many years now which leads to a lot of well...alternative situations. I have read about enemas consisting of things like champagne being used and it helps to make a person drunk faster. I do not think it would affect a person and I think the alcohol would probably lead to major discomfort or burning, even low proof stuff like champagne. I thought I should ask and see what you know before trying it.

Sincerly,
PuppyGurl

Dear PuppyGurl,

It is true that some people use alcohol enemas for purposes of intoxication. Because the primary job of the intestines is to absorb nutrients into the body, if you put alcohol directly into your colon, it will be absorbed much more rapidly than it would be if it entered your body orally. It can make you very drunk, very quickly. Because everyone's body is different, it's hard to judge how much or how quickly an alcohol enema would affect any one person.

However, it should be noted that doing this has the potential to be dangerous or even deadly if you use too much alcohol or keep it inside for too long. Once alcohol enters your bloodstream, you can't get it back out. Alcohol poisoning can result from alcohol entering the body through either end. Cases of colitis have also been linked to alcohol enemas as the alcohol can irritate and inflame your intestines, sometimes causing cramping. It is also possible that the bubbles and/or cold temperature of champagne may be uncomfortable.

The anus has a lot of nerve endings, so some people find it stimulating to insert things like dildos, or give themselves enemas with different substances as part of sex. And people have used enemas for centuries (mostly just water) in many different cultures for ritual or cleansing purposes. Frequent enema use can actually lead to constipation, so "all things in moderation" is probably a good policy.

It may be helpful to consider why you are interested in this method: Would the use of an alcohol enema (with its possible risks) offer you an alternative to getting drunk that is appealing? Why are you are using alcohol to begin with? For tips on healthier drinking, you can read Hangover Helper. If you do decide to insert, start very slowly, with small amounts of alcohol. Remember that alcohol can impact decision-making, so if you are combining it with sex, you may want to think about how to plan for safety. Mucus membranes (like your anus, rectum, and colon) are delicate and can be damaged easily, so paying close attention to the signs your body gives you will help you stay safer.