About Us

1. What is Go Ask Alice! ?
  2. What is the mission of Go Ask Alice! ?
  3. When was Alice! born?
  4. What types of questions does Alice! answer?
  5. Who can ask questions?
  6. Who answers the questions?
  7. What happens when information changes?

1. Where can I go for more health information?
  2. Hey, wasn't there a song...?
  3. Are Go Ask Alice! Q&As available in print?
  4. I still have more questions about Alice! Where can I go?
  5. I have a comment/suggestion for the site. Where do I sound off?
  6. Do all questions receive a response from Go Ask Alice!?
  7. Why don't I see ads on Go Ask Alice!?

1. What is Go Ask Alice! ?

Go Ask Alice! is the health question and answer Internet resource produced by Alice! Health Promotion at Columbia University — a division of Columbia Health.

This site has three frequently used features (among the many):

• New Go Ask Alice! Q&As of the Week gives you the most recently published inquiries and responses — this section is updated every Friday.

• Search Go Ask Alice! lets you find health information by subject via a search of the ever-growing Go Ask Alice! archives containing thousands of previously-posted questions and answers, and reader responses.  The search box is located at the top of every page on the site.

• Ask Alice! gives you the chance to ask and submit a question to Alice!
Go Ask Alice! is produced and funded entirely by Columbia University. The site does not receive funding to promote specific products, nor does it accept advertising of any sort.

[back to top]

Go Ask Alice! is a health Q&A Internet resource. It provides readers with reliable, accurate, accessible, culturally competent information and a range of thoughtful perspectives so that they can make responsible decisions concerning their health and well-being. Information provided by Go Ask Alice! is not medical advice and not meant to replace consultation with a health care professional.

[back to top]
3. When was Alice! born?

Well, a lady never reveals her age, but Go Ask Alice! was born in 1993 at Columbia University's Health Promotion program, likely making it the first major health Q&A Internet site. Check out our history page for more information.

[back to top]

Go Ask Alice! answers questions about alcohol & other drugs; emotional health; fitness & nutrition; general health; relationships; and sexual & reproductive health.  If you've thought about a  health question, it's likely on Go Ask Alice!

[back to top]
5. Who can ask questions?

Originally (back in 1993), the site was for Columbia students only. Its instant success on campus, combined with new Internet capability, quickly landed Go Ask Alice! on the World Wide Web for global access. Inquirers to Go Ask Alice! are anonymous — the question submission process does not require any personally identifying information (e-mail address, etc.).

Go Ask Alice! receives over 1,000 inquiries weekly from college and high school students, parents, teachers, professionals, older adults, and others, on every conceivable health topic. All questions are read.  Additionally, the team behind Go Ask Alice! does not make up the questions.  We have always been a reader driven site and are committed to keeping the site focused on you, our reader.  We know there are some areas where more information can be provided, but we are waiting for you to ask.

[back to top]
6. Who answers the questions?

Go Ask Alice! is supported by a team of Columbia University health promotion specialists, health care providers, and other health professionals, along with a staff of information and research specialists and writers. Our team members have advanced degrees in public health, health education, medicine, counseling, and many other relevant fields.

[back to top]

Responses undergo a standardized review process to insure high quality and accuracy, and updated content is posted on the home page under "new and updated Q&As" and on the recently updated Q&As page. Additionally, you can see both the originally published and updated/reviewed date in each question and answer.  If you think a Q&A needs an update, please send us a note using the Comments, Corrections, & Other Feedback form (and be sure to include some references).

[back to top]
8. Where can I go for more health information?

The Internet, print, and institutional resources prominently featured on the site allow readers to pursue additional information and assistance from hundreds of local, national, and international sources.  All resources listed on Go Ask Alice! have been carefully selected by the Alice! team.  There are no sponsored or paid listings on our site.  Please see our advertising policy for more information.

[back to top]
9. Hey, wasn't there a song...?

The name Go Ask Alice! came to a site producer in a dream, and is not a reference to the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit," "Alice’s Restaurant," the TV show "Alice," Alice in Wonderland, "The Brady Bunch" housekeeper, Alice from "The Honeymooners," Alice Walker, Alice Cooper, Alice in Chains, or any other real or ficticious person, place, or thing named Alice.

The Go Ask Alice! Health Question and Answer Internet Resource and The Go Ask Alice Book of Answers: A Guide to Good Physical, Sexual, and Emotional Health by Columbia University's Health Education Program are also not affiliated in any way with the book GO ASK ALICE by Anonymous, edited by Beatrice Sparks, Ph.D.

[back to top]
10. Are Go Ask Alice! Q&As available in print?

The Go Ask Alice Book of Answers: A Guide to Good Physical, Sexual, And Emotional Health (Henry Holt and Company, Inc., September 1998) features many of Alice's most intriguing and commonly-asked questions.  While the book is still available from your local bookshop, our Q&As are updated on an ongoing basis.  We encourage you to use the site for the most up-to-date information.

Go Ask Alice! Q&As are also used by teachers and textbook producers as curriculum supplements in high school and college health education & public health classes.

[back to top]
11. I still have more questions about Alice! Where can I go?

Check out the "Go Ask Alice! stuff" section in the About Us tab for more responses to questions asked by readers in the past.

[back to top]
12. I have a comment/suggestion for the site. Where do I sound off?

Alice! welcomes all general comments and suggestions about the site from our readers. If you have a suggestion, please visit our Comments, Corrections, and Other Feedback form where you can submit your thoughts. Or visit our Reader Rants & Raves page if you'd like to view other readers' comments from the past (good and bad).

[back to top]
13. Do all questions receive a response from Go Ask Alice!?

Go Ask Alice! provides health information and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, treatment advice, or a second opinion for health conditions. If you have an existing ailment or an urgent health problem, consult with a health care provider before acting on information contained here. Go Ask Alice! is not able to respond immediately or individually to queries. All questions are read, however not all questions submitted are selected for publication. Read more on this at Answer my questions, Alice!.

[back to top]
14. Why don't I see ads on Go Ask Alice!?

We at Alice! Health Promotion, part of Columbia Health, made the carefully considered decision to NOT accept commercial sponsorship of any type for Go Ask Alice!  Readers have come to rely on us for honest, frank health information free of commercial messages. We are proud to have never included advertising on our site and are committed to maintaining this policy.

[back to top]